Does your mind feel like there’s a wad of cotton blocking your ability to comprehend information – you can’t think, calculate, or remember familiar words? You may even feel like you need to tell people to slow down and speak more slowly, because you’re just not getting it. Some people describe it as feeling fuzzy-headed or disconnected. If so, it’s quite likely you’re experiencing brain fog.
There are a number of causes of brain fog. Some of the most common are:
- Food allergies
- Chemical exposure
- Medication side effects
- Medical conditions like MS, fibromyalgia, iron deficiency anemia, hypothyroidism, or menopause
Treatment for brain fog depends on the cause. If you suspect your brain fog is connected with a medical condition, seek the assistance of your primary care physician immediately.
Making some simple lifestyle changes can help reduce or get rid of brain fog if it’s not caused by a medical condition. Here are five ways to lift brain fog naturally…
1. Avoid toxins. You’re already feeling poisoned so why add to your load by smoking tobacco or marijuana, consuming alcohol, and abusing drugs?
2. Eat brain-healthy food and drink water. Don’t skip meals. Avoid inflammatory producing items like saturated fats, refined carbohydrates, and sugar. Choose lean proteins, healthy fats, and lots of beans, fruits, and vegetables.
3. Support your brain as it cleans itself. You need plenty of restorative sleep to allow the brain time to clear out wastes from the day’s activities.
4. Get moving. Physical activity increases your blood flow to your brain. More blood means more oxygen, which stimulates the growth of new cells and blood vessels in the brain.
5. Enjoy the sunshine. We need the full spectrum light from the sun to get our daily dose of Vitamin D, as well as, enabling our bodies to produce the energy required for cell repair and regeneration.
Many people have found relief from brain fog, as well as improved overall health by making these lifestyle changes. If you’ve tried and can’t seem to make these lifestyle changes on your own, I can help you develop holistic strategies that will support your total mind/body wellness. I offer online video therapy so you can talk with me from the comfort of your own home. You can book an appointment on my Contact page.