Since entrepreneurs are driven to succeed, it is easy to push through without stopping to evaluate if you’re on the path to self-destruction. Regardless of how you feel at this moment, if you are an entrepreneur, I encourage you to stop and honestly evaluate yourself. Take note of the signs that you may be burned out.
Signs of Burnout:
- You are usually creative, but instead you feel like you have hit a wall
- Difficulty concentrating
- Lack of enthusiasm or drive for your work
- A cranky, negative attitude that won’t disappear
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
- Chronic headaches or stomach problems
- Family and friends voicing concerns for your well-being
If you see yourself in this list, then it is time to take a time out. It may be as simple as taking a few hours out of your work week for a hobby or time with your family. How about scheduling in a long weekend or a vacation? Whatever you need to do, do it immediately. Success is wonderful, but not a the expense of your mental or physical health. If taking a break does not relieve your symptoms, then you may need to get the assistance of a mental health care professional. There could be deeper issues that need to be addressed. Doing so will be worth your while.