Did you realize that we turn to our friends and loved ones for therapy daily? Think about the last time you were really worried…didn’t you feel so much better after talking with a trusted friend? Or when you suffered a severe loss, like the death of a loved one. Didn’t their loving embraces, shared tears, and gentle words soothe you?
The difference between that kind of care and professional therapy is that psychologists and mental health professionals:
- Can be more objective, since they see all sides of the story.
- Have the freedom to tell you the truth, since they’re not worried about hurting your feelings.
- Have greater experience, since they deal with issues like yours every day.
- Have more insight, since they’ve seen what works and what doesn’t work.
- Have professional training to help you make permanent change.
If there is a difference between what you would like your life to be and how your life actually is, then why not fix it so you can enjoy happiness and contentment right now?
But, you might say, “I’m not that bad off.” On the contrary, your body may be telling you that’s not strictly true. Whenever we sense a lack in our lives, we’re likely to react with the following responses:
- Dramatic mood shifts
- Constant fatigue
- A drastic change in eating habits
- Persistent guilt feelings
- Recurring, irrational sense of panic
- Persistent, overwhelming feeling of doom
- Constant headaches, rashes, or backaches
- Relationship problems
- Excessive drinking or drug abuse
Do they sound familiar? Would your close family members or friends recognize any of these symptoms in you? Why not ask them? You might be surprised at their observations. Life is too precious to waste time on feeling less than your best.
When your emotional problems occupy your thoughts several hours a day, you should consider seeking professional help. A mental health professional will help you explore and assess your options. If you live near Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA please contact my office and schedule an appointment. Is it time to make some changes?