Researchers found that those who feel younger than their chronological age live longer than those who feel their age or feel older. While they don’t fully understand why, the researchers have noticed the following similar traits among the long-lived:
- This “youthful” group keeps more active.
- They maintain a healthy weight.
- They nurture their happyinterest in life.
- They engage in healthy behavior instead of risky behavior.
- They feel more in control.
- They have greater resilience.
- They have good social relationships.
- They keep a positive, optimistic attitude.
- They are content with their lives.
The two main characteristics that seem to help people live a longer life are consciousness and optimism. While the findings of this latest research are not new, it does reinforce that our conscious choices shape our quality of life. So what does your future look like?
It’s never too late to start living a more meaningful and happy life. I had the privilege of having one of my essays published in a wonderful book entitled, Sixty Things To Do When You Turn Sixty. (You can purchase a copy of the book here.) The big 6-0 is just the beginning! Do you have any stories of people who have accomplished remarkable things in their 80’s, 90’s, and 100’s? Please come to my Facebook page and share them with us.